Do you stay in an area that receives hard water? You are not alone. More than 80% of households in the US have hard water. Since this type of water has high mineral content, it can damage the fabrics of your clothes and a regular washing machine.
A washer is a valuable appliance that makes it easy for you to do laundry. Once you start shopping for one, you have to pay attention to your situation. The market offers washing machines for hard water to customers who don’t have access to soft water. If you are one of them, go through our review of the best washing machine for hard water to find an ideal fit.
Comparing the best washing machine for hard water
Reviewing the best washing machine for hard water
Whirlpool WTW4616FW-It is highly efficient
Feel free to use the Whirlpool model to wash all kinds of clothes, including blankets and bedding. It comes with different water level settings, including the deep water wash and the water efficiency mode. If you want to use a water softener when doing family laundry through this washing machine, you should utilize the deep water wash mode. Use the second setting when washing stained clothes. This mode can help minimize the effect that hard water has on clothes.
Since this washing machine for hard water has a top-loading design, it makes cleaning easy. Apart from the two settings, you can also customize it more through the available water temperature settings. The washing machine has various washing cycles and can therefore clean all types of fabrics.
If, for instance, some of your fabrics require more attention, you should use the dedicated delicate cycle available in this Whirlpool model. The manufacturer designs this washing machine with dual action spiral agitator, which enhances cleaning efficiency. Though this washer is among the best for hard water, it comes with regular knobs rather than a digital control panel.
- It comes in a compact design
- Has numerous settings
- Features dual-action spiral agitator
- It is a full-size washer
- It is less portable
Kenmore top load washer-Best for a large family
- Item includes room of choice delivery, unboxing, item hook-up (including required parts) and free optional haul-away at checkout
- Triple Action Impeller uses a 3-part wash motion to make easy work out of tough laundry. StainBoost option takes the tough work out of tough stains with an extended wash time and gentle care.
- Fabric softener dispenser. Maximum Spin Speed (rpm) : 950. Water Factor : 4.30.Height with Lid Open (inches) 57 Inches
- The Deep Fill option automatically adjusts the water levels depending on load size, optimizing water usage
- Direct drive motor
It is also designed with functions that can prevent the accumulation of limescale in the drum. Kenmore washer has bulky cycles and uses more water than other conventional models. This machine can therefore soak your clothes properly and clean any dirt on them. If you want to add extra water to your washing cycle, feel free to utilize the fabric softener and deep fill options.
The available clean washer cycle can help you clean debris from the system. You should use this option with enough water softener. Unlike the previous model, the Kenmore top load washer has not only dial controls but also digital ones. Such options make it quite user-friendly.
This is a fully automatic washer that comes in a compact design. You can easily fit it even in a tight space. Though it is compact, the washing machine has enough space to clean heavy bedding, including blankets.
- It comes with both digital and dial controls
- The washer includes bulky cycles
- It comes in a sleek and compact design
- Uses power cleaning technology
- Can meet the laundry needs of a large family
- It is expensive
Homelabs washing machine– It is portable
- Portable Full Automatic Washer: Relieve yourself from manual washing with our 0.9 cubic feet portable laundry washing machine. 44.1 pounds lightweight washer with fully automated washing, rinsing, and spinning cycles to protect the clothes even the most delicate wool. It also sports two roller wheels in the rear end for easy movement and effortless portability
- Large Wash Capacity: Featuring a durable rust-resistant stainless steel drum for bearing loads up to 6 pounds clothes, perfect for delicate clothes or a small wash. With a variety of convenience features, it has a transparent viewing lid, adjustable legs, carry handles, water inlet, lint filter and drain pump which allows you to easily drain out dirty water
- Flexible 5 Cycles and 3 Water Level Settings: 120-volt clothes cleaner offers five different washing programs such as Heavy, Gentle, Normal, Rapid and Soak and three water levels, as well which provides versatility and water savings. All programs, functions and selections are clearly labelled in touchpad control panel with blue LED digital display to help you to use the machine with ease
- Quiet and Energy Efficient: Electric washer and spinner is made to thoroughly washed, rinsed and spun your clothes; it runs at a mellow and efficient 200 watts input power with a quiet spin function. Each purchase comes complete with accessories which includes a quick connect adapter, water supply hose, and drain hose. Attaches quick to faucets and sinks
- Top Load Compact Clothes Cleaner: For small household with limited space and minimal laundry loads, this top loader machine is a good solution. It measures 17.7 L x 18.1 W x 31.5 H inches which allows to easily fit in the bathroom or closet. A great choice for apartments, college dorm rooms, RVs, camping or anywhere with limited space!
Homelabs is a fully automatic washing machine that comes in a compact design. Apart from using it at home, you can even use this washing machine in a dorm. It includes different water level settings and at least five cycles. The inclusion of such options allows it to get rid of hard water stains on clothes.
Since it is a top load washing machine, filling the machine with water and a hard water softener to eliminate limescale is easy. Feel free to fill water in this washer manually. Once you buy this washing machine for hard water, you don’t have to call a professional to help you install it. The manufacturer of this washer includes different fittings in it to promote quick installation.
Some new users find the drain hose of this washing machine to be thin. Despite the impression, it is strong and can withstand many years of use. You can even use the drainage hose in other configurations such as over the toilet, shower, or bath.
Though this washing machine for hard water may look small, it offers enough space to help you clean regular clothes as well as your bedding. Homelabs washing machine has a capacity of about 6 pounds. One of the things that makes Homelabs among the best washing machine for hard water is the availability of extra features. For instance, this washer includes a digital control panel which makes it user-friendly, and a transparent lid that allows you to monitor your laundry.
This is not only a modern washing machine for hard water but also an energy-efficient one. You don’t have to worry about paying very high bills after installing this washer. Many users also like the fact that it works quietly.
- It is compact and mobile
- Easy to install
- It has five cycles and different water level settings
- Large capacity
- It is easy to use
- Not ideal for large homes
Kapas kps35-735h2-Budget friendly
- Fully automatic washer with 1-cubic-foot stainless-steel tub for top loading up to 7.8 pounds (3.5kg)
- Water level controller, preset washing time, 8 wash program to select and led indicator
- 10 minutes automatically powers off after washing, it's more smart and safe for kids and whole family
- Special customize import water durable rubber hose with 3/4 screw thread connector for universal family faucet and water-tap
- Updated pump to washer in 2019, extended drain water pipe. Suitable for more drainage situation, like toilet, sink, bucket, bath.
One of the things that makes this among the best washers for hard water is the inclusion of a water level controller. This lets you decide the right amount of water you should use. With this machine, your laundry will not have hard water stains. It also comes with preset washing times and eight programs that enhance cleaning efficiency.
The washer includes an LED indicator that can help you figure out how long a wash cycle will take. A few minutes after a cycle end, the power function will turn off automatically. Feel free to fill this washing machine manually. It gives you the freedom to add hard water cleansers from time to time. The Kapas washing machine includes stainless steel tub that is corrosion-resistant.
- It is versatile
- Made from high-quality materials
- It has an LED indicator
- Some users reveal that the design is flawed
Bosch WTG86401UC– It is both a washer and dryer
It is designed with Bosch technology and can protect your clothes from getting damaged by hard water. The washer works well with a filter that eliminates the mineral components found in hard water. Most customers also like the white color of this machine since it easily blended in with other home appliances.
You will also be impressed by the wide range of features available in this washing machine. For instance, it contains an LED ring display and a see-through reversible door. The inclusion of anti-vibration walls also promotes a quiet operation during use.
- It utilizes a powerful spin motion
- Power-saving machine
- Includes a cloth moisture sensor
- Drying your clothes through this machine is time-consuming
A buying guide for the best washing machine for hard water
Finding the best washing machine for hard water can be challenging if you have never used such an appliance before. You should consider the factors below as you compare the different models available.
When looking for a good washing machine for hard water, you should choose one based on the top-loading design. Such a machine is easier to clean than a front load washing machine. Apart from ease of cleaning, top load washer are more cost-effective than front load washers.
Numerous water level options
Hard water tends to cause different colored stains on cloth fabrics. The excess minerals found in this form of water tend to weaken the structure of clothes fibers, making them wear quickly. When you choose a washing machine for hard water with many water level options, it can counteract such adverse effects.
Water temperature settings
Before you pay for a washing machine for hard water, you should also pay attention to the water temperature settings it comes with. Washing your clothes with cooler water can minimize hard water stains on different fabrics and also reduce the buildup of limescale on the drum. Therefore, you should choose a machine that lets you set the temperature ranging from 86-140 degrees F.
Consider the size of your family and check the washer’s capacity before paying for it. If you have a small family, you can choose a washing machine that has a small capacity. Such a machine can help you meet your family’s laundry needs. If you have a large family, consider a washer with a big capacity so that it can help clean a lot of clothes at a go.
While some washing machines for hard water are automatic, others are semi-automatic. If you are so busy that you will not get time to operate a washer manually, you should go for an automatic washing machine for hard water. If you have time and are willing to put in some little effort during laundry, a semi-automatic washer is ideal.
Why is hard water bad for a regular washing machine?
Since hard water contains minerals such as calcium and magnesium, it leads to limescale buildup on the unit. This accumulation becomes an insulator, causing the machine to overheat and break down.
How does a washing machine for hard water work?
This uses hard water wash technology. Such a washing machine works by softening the hard water during wash cycles.
The minerals in hard water may be good for consumption, but they can negatively affect your laundry. Hard water creates scum that can make the clothes look grimy. If you have been using a regular washing machine, it can easily get damaged by hard water. Consider replacing it with one that is specially designed for hard water. We have reviewed the best washing machine for hard water to help you make a more informed decision. All the best!