Did you know that water damage caused by burst washing machine hoses is a leading insurance claim in North America?
Damage caused by a defective hose can be minimal such that all you need are a few old towels to clean up. In other cases it can be defective enough to warrant major reconstruction work. It is imperative that you ensure your washing machine hose is of good quality and in good condition at all times.
Here is a list of 7 best washing machine hoses in the market to help you find a suitable one for your washer. From our comparisons, we found the DANCO Flood Armor hose to be the best option. It is a smart hose which automatically shuts off when there is a leak and gives leak indications.
Benefits of Using the Best Washing Machine Hoses
Wear and tear
Wear and tear associated with age are one of the main reasons behind hose leaks and bursts. It is generally advised that you replace washing machine hoses every 3 to 5 years. If you choose a more durable stainless steel hose, you would be leaning towards a 5-year lifespan. With the less expensive rubber hoses, you can expect a lifespan on the lower end of 3 years or so.
Choosing poor quality hoses means it wears out faster and you are more likely to notice leaks even before it is 3 years old.
The hot water hose connected to your washing machine carries scalding hot water. If you have a poor quality hose, it will get damaged by heat.
Rubber hoses work fine with cold water but don’t do well with frequent exposure to heat. This is why blisters are a common sight in rubber hoses after a few years of use.
If you intend to use hot water for a lot of your laundry, stainless steel hoses are a better option. This metal can handle very high temperatures. In fact the temperatures at which your water heater supplies hot water are not high enough to really put stainless steel to the test.
If you have a basic understanding of how your washing machine works, you now that it require a lot of pressure to keep water flowing through the hoses.
This pressure takes a toll on even good quality reinforced rubber hoses, but not enough to cause damage. If your hoses are of sub-standard quality, they will be easily damaged but this pressure. The result is bulges and cracks. If these are left unchecked, they could cause leaks or all out bursts.
7 Best Washing Machine Hoses – A Comparison Table
- SMART HOSE: Leak indicator signals internal hose burst and automatic shut-off valve stops water flow
- STRENGTH AND DURABILITY: Patented washing machine double hose creates an extra level of protection which prevents water leakage
- SAFE TO USE: This washing machine hose is equipped with threaded safety lock prevents loosening of connection during normal operation. The product is COMPLIANT with the follow codes: IPC, IRC, UPC, NPC.
- UNIVERSAL: Fits all models including high efficiency. The hose has a 6 ft. length with 3/4" FHT x 3/4" FHT Elbow. Operating TEMPERATURE from 40°F to 185°F and operating PRESSURE is 3 psi to 180 psi.
- INCLUDES: (2) washing machine hoses for hot and cold water
This revolutionary inlet hose is referred to as a smart hose because it has a valve which shuts off automatically to prevent leakages. A patented double hose design gives you added protection from leaks and the threaded safety lock makes sure the connection stays secure during operation.
It has a leak indicator signal so you can catch a leak before it causes any damage. A wide diameter ensure smooth and quick flow of water.
Installation doesn’t require professional expertise so you don’t have to spend more for a plumber. It also works with most washing machine models although it is always best to confirm that it works with yours before buying the pack.
There are 2 hoses in a pack so you can replace both hot and cold water inlets from a single purchase. The manufacturer recommends replacement every 5 years.
One drawback is that it may not work well with a connector. If you need to use a 90-degree connector, you may have trouble achieving totally leak proof operation.
- Smart hose
- Leak indicator
- Large diameter
- 90-degree connector may cause leakage
- This is a Genuine OEM replacement part.
The large diameter gives you the advantage of fast, unrestricted flow of water into the machine and the coupler is fusion resistant to ensure it is always easy to remove.
It is made with a nylon shield which is said to work better than steel. The surface is non-conducive so you don’t have to worry about electricity mishaps and hot hoses when you are using hot water.
The drawback linked to this hose is limitation in terms of the washing machines it can be used with. It works with only a few models so it is important to confirm that it will fit on to yours before purchasing.
It comes in a pack of 2 hoses. Although they are quite pricey, you only need to buy a pack for both hot and cold water supply.
- Genuine OEM replacement part
- Large diameter
- Fusion-resistant coupler
- Only works with a few washing machine models
- EASY INSTALLATION: The HighCraft Washer Hose Is Quick And Easy To Install. Clear And Simple Directions Allowing You To DIY And Save! Easily Connect To Your Washing Machine On Your Own
- NO WATER LEAKAGE : Washing Machine Hose Comes With Pre installed Washers Ensuring No Water Leakage
- UNIVERSAL FIT: pipe has 3/4" fem x 3/4" female hose threads and is compatible with most washing machines and water tanks
- TIGHT SEAL: Our Washer Supply Line Was Manufactured With High Quality EPD rubber for Tight seal with Hose, Made in USA
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: Hose Is Manufactured With Superior Quality Material And Is Built To Last
You get a universal fit as both ends have ¾ inch female threads. The ends are brass stamped with EPDM rubber washer gaskets pre-installed. It is easy to install so you don’t have to spend more for the professional work of a plumber.
When you buy the pack it comes with 2 pipes, a red one and a blue one. Apart from being aesthetically different from other hoses, it gives you a color code for the cold and hot water inlets.
When it comes to temperature variations in water, this hose can handle both extreme cold and heat. You can run water as cold as -20F and as hot as 190F without worrying about temperature related damage.
Pressure is a common cause of damaged hoses. This one is built to withstand up to 800 psi burst pressure and 200 psi working pressure.
These hoses are available in varying lengths. You can get them in 4-foot, 6-foot, 10-foot or 12-foot options.
- Different colors
- Withstands high heat and pressure
- Easy to install
They are designed with wide openings to allow water to flow in faster. You don’t have to wait so long to get your laundry done. Kelaro says it fills up your load 50% faster than other similar products in the market. Its flexible universal washers can fit on regular household water supply lines thus saving you the hassle of making specific adjustments for this hose.
When you buy these hoses, they come in a pack of 2 pieces for both hot and cold water inlets. Both are stainless steel in color but one has red stripes and the other has blue stripes to allow for easy differentiation between hot and cold water inlets. Length options available are 4 feet, 8 feet and 12 feet.
On the hot water inlet, you can have your water as hot as 158F.
This product is UPC certified. This gives you he an assurance of quality because it meets both performance and safety standards set in the Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Can withstand high temperatures
- Has wide openings
- Lead free
- Not as strong as other stainless steel hoses
- Made in the USA or Imported
- 3/4" FGH (Female Garden Hose) x 3/4" FGH fittings with stainless steel couplings & brass stems for secure connections
- Stainless steel outer braid resists punctures, crimping & kinking
- Clear vinyl surrounds flexible & durable PVC inner core tubing that's woven with polyester for added strength under pressure
- For use as hot or cold water supply line to household washing machines
Braided stainless steel on the outside of the hose enables it to withstand punctures and kinking. The inner core tubing is woven with polyester for added strength when water is passed through it under high pressure.
If you compare prices between this hose and similar brands, you will find that this is one of the more affordable options. Although the stainless steel part of the hose is strong, it disappoints when it comes to connections. ¾ inch by ¾ inch fittings allow for free flow of water but connections may not be secure after extended use despite stainless steel couplings and brass stems.
When you buy it, it comes as a single piece which can be used for either hot or cold water inlets. Length variations available include 4 feet, 5 feet and 6 feet.
- Corrosion resistant
- Flexible and durable design
- Doesn’t fit all washers
- 6ft length each
- Burst Proof Design
- Stainless Steel Braided
- 2 in a pack for added value
- Non leaking washer inserts included
It can be installed quite quickly and easily without any need for expert help.
A wide mouth makes sure you don’t have to lose much time waiting for water to flow in.
Each hose is 6 feet long and is designed to be burst proof in that it won’t be damaged by water at high pressure. They are also rust proof and flexible enough to take a bit of turning here and there.
Compatible brands says it should last you at least 5 years as long as it is well maintained.
One downside you may notice is that the hose diameter is relatively small. Even if the mouth is designed to be wide, a small hose diameter may slow down the speed at which water can be delivered.
- Wide mouth
- Can withstand water at high pressure
- Easy to install
- Small hose diameter
- 2-Pack of washing machine hoses with a length of 5-feet are included to hook up your washing machine to the water supply the hoses are interchangeable for hot and cold water installation so you don't need to worry about where each one goes!
- Eastman washing machine fill hoses are built following rigorous standards to withstand full flow and high pressure preventing water leaks kinking crimping and corrosion
- Both fill hoses are equipped with 90-degree elbows on one end for an easy and smooth installation in tight spaces relieving strain on the hose
- Each hose has a 3/4-inch female hose thread x 3/4-inch female hose thread connection
- Built to fit most brands of washing machines
Unlike some 2-pack brands which are color coded, this one is not. You can use either hose for hot and the other for cold but there is no way of telling them apart.
Apart from fulfilling the task of water delivery, these hoses are designed to withstand high pressure and heat. You can use water ranging from 15F to 158 F. This means you can do your laundry with very hot water without compromising the hose.
Both hoses have a 90-degree elbow on one end. This makes installation smooth and easy as well as ensures the hose still works well even in tight spaces.
Diameter measures 3/8 inches which provides high pressure water delivery. This hose also features a nickel-plated brass nut.
- 90-degree elbow for tight spaces
- 2- pack
- Can withstand high pressure and temperature
- Strong connections
- Causes water hammering in some models
- No color codes
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Washing Machine Hoses
The two main types of hoses are based on the material used to make them. These are reinforced rubber and stainless steel.
Reinforced rubber: Rubber hoses have been used for decades, but the modern ones are reinforced using polyester mesh or braided rayon to make them stronger. Although most rubber hoses in the market are reinforced, be sure to confirm that what you buy indicates the same on the package.
These are the least expensive choice though it is important to be familiar with a general price range. If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. You are probably looking at a hose which is not reinforced.
Stainless steel: These are significantly more expensive than rubber hoses but the cost is offset by their lifespan. They are heat and pressure resistant so they last longer. They are made with a flexible plastic hose encased in a stainless steel mesh.
Many stainless steel hoses are labelled as ‘burst proof.’ They are less prone to bursting compared to rubber ones but keep in mind that no hose is entirely burst proof.
This is perhaps the most important factor to consider.
Larger machines often require longer hoses than smaller ones do. The machine’s manual should specify minimum and maximum drain hose height usually ranging between 39 inches and 96 inches respectively.
Why the need for minimum and maximum heights? Minimum height is to prevent water from flowing back into the washing machine. Maximum height has to do with the water column the drain pump is capable of handling.
This has to do with where you place your washing machine. If you live in a small apartment where space is challenge, you may find that you have to push the machine very close to the wall. If this is the case, regular hoses may be so cramped between the machine and the wall such that water doesn’t flow as it should.
In this kind of situation, you need a hose with an elbow connector at a right angle. This ensures the machine sits closer to the wall without interfering with flow of water.
Will you be doing most of your laundry with cold, warm or hot water? Your answer is a key factor to consider when buying a hose. This is especially important for the drain hose because inlet hoses are differentiated for hot and cold water.
If you will be using hot water, make sure the material used will not be damaged by heat and that it won’t shrink as a result of exposure to heat.
These are stainless steel braided hoses which have a built-in shut-off mechanism on one end. The feature is an added precaution to prevent flooding in the event of a burst. If the pipe were to burst, it senses the sudden change in water pressure and automatically shuts off.
Auto-shutoff hoses are not cheap but are a good investment for peace of mind.
There is a wide range of washing machine hoses in the market. Having understood the kind of damage a leaking or burst hose could do, it is clear that this is not an item on which you want to go cheap.
When you go out to buy a washing machine hose, pick the best quality and most expensive one you can afford. Be sure to check it for signs of damage at least once a year and replace it before the indicated lifespan period ends.